Thursday, March 8, 2012

Watched a Movie with my Kid...

This afternoon, I sat down and watched Cyberbully with Jody. I had heard about it when it was put out on ABC Family, then saw it on Netflix a couple months ago. I added it to the instant queue and made a comment to Mark that we needed to watch it with Jody. I would pass it in the queue and say "we will get to it someday". Today was that day. As we watched it, I asked her questions about the behaviors she was seeing on the TV, and how she felt about them. I can honestly say I am one very proud Mama right now. Her comments and reactions were very mature and empathetic to the characters. I am also happy to say that she didn't once say "hay, that happens at school!" She was appalled when the bully's father said that his daughter wasn't doing anything wrong. Below is her review of the movie and what she learned. She also talked about how to prevent bullying or what to do if you are bullied. **The following is her words. I only corrected spelling.***

**********

Cyberbully is about a girl, named Taylor, who gets a new laptop for her 17th birthday. She creates an online profile. It had wacky questions, like 'What color underwear are you wearing right now?'. While she was at school, her brother hacked her account and posted bad stuff on her profile that was not true. At school, her life changes. She gets bullied. When she gets home, she sees a profile of a cute guy named James. She starts talkign to him, only to find out that he is not real. Her best friend, Samantha, created him, thinking she was protecting him from the wrong guy. Taylor tries to kill herself. She then goes to therapy and a support group that halps her learn to cope with the bullies. Her mom is trying to get a law passed about online bullying. Sonn, she stands up to the bully, backed by her friends. In the end, they get the law passed about onine bullying.

I learned that you should be careful of what you say. If you see bullying online or offline, you should say "Hey, It is NOT OKAY to do this." It cannot be allowed, so step up and speak out.
You can prevent bullying by talking about it, joining a support group, talking to your parents, or best of all facing it HEAD ON.


******

I am one very happy and proud Mama! Well, except for the fact that my 9 year old has officially wrote a better piece than I think I ever could have!

No comments:

Post a Comment